Ludicom
March 29, 2024, 07:45:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking to get back in touch? https://discord.gg/5mc98tm

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

General Intro/Leave of Absence Thread

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
  Print  
Author Topic: General Intro/Leave of Absence Thread  (Read 5382 times)
Kinfin
The Lord of the Sands
Lotad Hero

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 07, 2014, 03:50:10 pm »

Why not Canada?

One of the most diverse and tolerant countries in the world.

She can't move to Canada. Nurses don't get paid well in Canada due to the free health care.
Report Spam   Logged

Must...resist...creepy urges... too many witnesses... would look weird...
RosimInc
Emerald Hoarder

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2014, 03:53:37 pm »

French you can only use in a handful of countries
English you can use in almost every country

English is best language.
English is horrible seriously. But we have to go with majority.
French and other latin languages take gender into account, which makes it easier to identify if a friend or cousin is female or male.
I have been told by many that English (american) was made so that people wouldn't have trouble writing a word they hear. Then explain bough, cough/tough, dough/borough. Pronounces "bao", "coff/toff", "doe/borrow".
English makes no sense, no more than French does. But as you have learnt it first, you understand it better. English makes not more sense to a French speaker than English does to an English speaker.
All my high school was spent learning the verb exceptions in English. Why make a rule if half the words don't respect it then?
/rant
Report Spam   Logged
DarkDragon
Ruby Gatherer

Main FC: 1435-4150-8076

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2014, 06:13:12 pm »

English is horrible seriously. But we have to go with majority.
French and other latin languages take gender into account, which makes it easier to identify if a friend or cousin is female or male.
I have been told by many that English (american) was made so that people wouldn't have trouble writing a word they hear. Then explain bough, cough/tough, dough/borough. Pronounces "bao", "coff/toff", "doe/borrow".
English makes no sense, no more than French does. But as you have learnt it first, you understand it better. English makes not more sense to a French speaker than English does to an English speaker.
All my high school was spent learning the verb exceptions in English. Why make a rule if half the words don't respect it then?
/rant
Taking gender into account is a horrible idea, why would an inanimate object be male or female? Not to mention all the accents in French which are just plain annoying to remember. Obviously you would learn this were you to speak French fluently, and I'm not saying that English is a perfect language either, but it's by far the most widely spoken language so I don't see why people complain when they have to learn it. It doesn't prevent you from also learning your native language.. you can just communicate better with the majority now.

To be honest I wish everyone could just globally agree on a language that would be used by everyone, then there would be no language barriers. Of course everyone would disagree and want their own language to be compulsory, but since the majority already know English then I guess that would ultimately be the chosen universal language. I hate it when people call the English/Americans lazy for not learning other languages, though, because I really don't see the point in learning a less widely spoken language than that of your native tongue. If you were to encounter a foreigner, then it's quite likely that they will already speak basic English. Its not that we're lazy, there is just little point in learning a language other than English unless you are living in another country.
Report Spam   Logged

Kloud
Administrator
Ludicolo Champion

Take my hand, let's go...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2014, 06:33:49 pm »

Actually I know basic Spanish and a bit of Swedish x3 More Americans are multilingual than are given credit, it's considered very intelligent and useful to know additional languages.
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
Mashin
Lotad Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2014, 06:35:44 pm »

Taking gender into account is a horrible idea, why would an inanimate object be male or female? Not to mention all the accents in French which are just plain annoying to remember. Obviously you would learn this were you to speak French fluently, and I'm not saying that English is a perfect language either, but it's by far the most widely spoken language so I don't see why people complain when they have to learn it. It doesn't prevent you from also learning your native language.. you can just communicate better with the majority now.

To be honest I wish everyone could just globally agree on a language that would be used by everyone, then there would be no language barriers. Of course everyone would disagree and want their own language to be compulsory, but since the majority already know English then I guess that would ultimately be the chosen universal language. I hate it when people call the English/Americans lazy for not learning other languages, though, because I really don't see the point in learning a less widely spoken language than that of your native tongue. If you were to encounter a foreigner, then it's quite likely that they will already speak basic English. Its not that we're lazy, there is just little point in learning a language other than English unless you are living in another country.

But they come live in Quebec and STILL won't learn French. XD
That was my point.
Report Spam   Logged

Zohaib
スチール
Rain Dish

Main FC: 3711-9411-9563

gucci gang

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2014, 11:57:15 pm »

She can't move to Canada. Nurses don't get paid well in Canada due to the free health care.
Government pays you, it's not that bad. I never see anyone complain.

The hospitals are paid from taxes. You don't pay a bill out of your pocket, but you do pay overtime via taxes.

Also, most countries that are better than the US has free healthcare.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:07:56 am by Steel » Report Spam   Logged

Quote from: Me
kanye, pokemon and deep throating are my favoruite things
Zohaib
スチール
Rain Dish

Main FC: 3711-9411-9563

gucci gang

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2014, 12:01:38 am »

+1

I've never had to use french in my life to do anything.
Same goes with pretty much my whole family.
My Grandpa and Grandma don't know any french other than Bonjour, yet they have great lives here and stuff.

Learning another language other than English is only necessary if your going to a country that has the other language as a national language.

Living without English is hard, Living without french, spanish, abrabic, etc. is easy.

Not saying its terrible to learn other languages though. It's good.
Report Spam   Logged

Quote from: Me
kanye, pokemon and deep throating are my favoruite things
RosimInc
Emerald Hoarder

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2014, 01:44:01 am »

What is wrong with giving gender to objects? Why would someone say about (his/she/their - see how difficult it is) car "She's my beauty" then? Giving gender proves the power of the language, and mixes logic and phonemes with it.
People complain about learning English when it's not their first language. English speakers can't conceive this idea. Why would we have to learn something that's not ours? Look I have my car, let me drive it. I don't care about yours. You need a reason to learn a language, and being understood by everyone is not usually a driving force when we're young. Proportionally speaking, by learning Mandarin you could reach as many people as by learning English, and Spanish is not far behind.
My driving force has been a girl. And most Asian girls are cuter than most American girls, so as I said, learn Mandarin!
You're just happy to have to learn only one of them, because trust me it's like learning two kinds of mathematics that don't fit with one another. It's a nightmare.

I've never had to use french in my life to do anything.
Same goes with pretty much my whole family.
My Grandpa and Grandma don't know any french other than Bonjour, yet they have great lives here and stuff.

Learning another language other than English is only necessary if your going to a country that has the other language as a national language.

Living without English is hard, Living without french, spanish, abrabic, etc. is easy.

Not saying its terrible to learn other languages though. It's good.
You live in an English-speaking town, go to an English-speaking school. Bravo. Had I not chosen to go to school in English, I could have lived my entire life in French without problem. My grandparents don't know any English other than Hi, yet they have great lives here and stuff.
The world does not revolve around English. English is the American dream that everyone tries to follow in order to be cool (you'd be surprised how much French and Spanish people use English words they don't understand just to feel cool).
Unspoken, unwritten language is more than 50% of our communication in life (well except for those who spend their days on their computer). With that, you can go anywhere.

Oh also, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish all have a lot of similarities, and we can understand each other. So Latin is actually a widely spoken language. And there's so much to see in Western Europe, plus in remote areas they generally don't speak English. And still live awesome lives.
Report Spam   Logged
DarkDragon
Ruby Gatherer

Main FC: 1435-4150-8076

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2014, 06:05:33 am »

@ Rosim

I never said knowing English improves your quality of life, or not knowing it worsens it. I was simply stating that the majority of countries across the world speak English, so it's the most logical to learn. I'm not being 'happy' that I only have to learn one of them, I'm just saying if you were to learn only one language then logic dictates it be English.

Also, giving gender to an object is ridiculous because it is neither male or female. It's just an object; it has no gender. When people describe a car or boat as a 'she' that's just to state admiration, in actual linguistic terms it is pointless.
Report Spam   Logged

Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

Main FC: 0344-9472-9443

You have failed this city!

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2014, 06:10:38 am »

I don't like putting genders to objects in languages at all.

Also this is kind of off topic (not that it matters really since this site needs posts xD )
Report Spam   Logged

My country lay within a vast desert. When the sun rose into the sky, a burning wind punished my lands, searing the world. And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came the wind carried the same thing... Death. But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin. I coveted that wind, I suppose. It can only be called fate... That here, I would again gather the three with the crests... That I should lay my hand on that which grants the wishes of the beholder... That when power, wisdom, and courage come together, the gods would have no choice but to come down... The power of the gods... The Triforce! He who touches it will have whatever he desires granted!
Pull List: Justice League, Justice League United, Secret Wars, New Avengers
Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Bleez, Batgirl, Green Arrow, Larfleeze
Kloud
Administrator
Ludicolo Champion

Take my hand, let's go...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2014, 07:49:27 am »

Government pays you, it's not that bad. I never see anyone complain.

The hospitals are paid from taxes. You don't pay a bill out of your pocket, but you do pay overtime via taxes.

Also, most countries that are better than the US has free healthcare.
I make nearly $30/hour and I'm due for a raise already. Don't want to give that up just yet... so I'll be staying here awhile longer. xD Besides, the US isn't an awful place to live. It has its positives and negatives, just like anyplace else. If I moved to another country, I'd want to research it a bit more just to ensure that I have a proper understanding of what it's like, so that I don't end up doing something I regret.

I don't like putting genders to objects in languages at all.

Also this is kind of off topic (not that it matters really since this site needs posts xD )
I thought the same thing, which is why I have done nothing xP

As for the rules of other languages, I kinda tend to give them a free pass. I mean, some English rules are stupid or odd when learning the language, so who am I to judge? I'm actually for learning as many languages as you're able- it's a valuable commodity.
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
Mashin
Lotad Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2014, 09:01:31 am »

I must remind everyone that we've been going on and on about languages in the Intro/Leave thread. XD
I know I kinda started it and that's why I feel I have to put a stop to it.

We should move it to another thread. I'm sure we look quite silly to potential outsiders. Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Primera Espada
Lombre Legend

Cero Metralleta

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2014, 01:28:18 pm »

Giving genders to objects has been shown to promote sexism, so theres one reason why it's bad.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
  Print  

Jump to: