Ludicom
March 19, 2024, 12:45:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking to get back in touch? https://discord.gg/5mc98tm

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Kinfin's Movie Reviews (Potential Spoilers)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kinfin's Movie Reviews (Potential Spoilers)  (Read 461 times)
Kinfin
The Lord of the Sands
Lotad Hero

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2013, 11:17:24 pm »

Today I'm presenting a review of Tales from Earthsea by Stuido Ghibli. For real this time.

I'm just going to explain the whole thing this time in super summary mode before I give my thoughts. Spoiler alert in full this time.

Tales from Earthsea starts off with a series of vague explinations, and a kid murdering his father within the first fifteen minutes of the movie. The kid then runs off and meets a wizard named Sparrowhawk who saves him from being eaten by jackals. They travel into a city where they meet a drug dealer, and the kid saves a girl from slave dealers in a suicidal act of bravery. When he succeeds she bitches out on him because he was wanting to die. Then the kid goes to take a nap on stone stairs and the slavers capture him. His wizard buddy saves him, and they go to work on a farm for a few days. Then the bad guys show up while Sparrowhawk's off to the city market, and by the time he returns, the baddies left, came back, and kidnapped the woman who owned the farm meanwhile the kid ran away and the girl is left to give the message. They end up meeting up with big bad wizard with a large growth on his head who wants to be immortal. Lots of climactic moments, buildings fall apart, and slave girl turns into a dragon. Oh, and there's something about true names in there that's not explained at all...

This movie is... gosh... Okay, first off, I know it's based on a book, but that isn't any excuse to not explain things. Hell, if anything, that means you have to take an extra moment just to make sure everyone knows what you're talking about. I mean, it'd be one thing if this were a series, but as a one off movie, I was so confused I had to find entertainment in the horse that I decided loves tacos.

Second, even if things weren't explained well, I could excuse it if it weren't impossible to follow. More than a few things go Giant Space Flea from Nowhere, especially in the last hour of the movie. It reaches the point where it's ridiculous.

Lastly, the ending makes no sense. The kid says he's going to admit to killing his father, but the end cinematic, he's just sticking around to be a farmhand. Closure please.

In short, this is the most confusing Ghibli movie I've ever seen. Maybe I should read the book, but still. It's... wait what... Gainax... okay. All of a sudden, everything makes sense again. Thank you everybody. Goodnight.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:14:27 am by PENGUINFIN » Report Spam   Logged

Must...resist...creepy urges... too many witnesses... would look weird...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: