Ludicom
March 28, 2024, 12:43:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking to get back in touch? https://discord.gg/5mc98tm

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Why Legendary Pokemon Have Hurt the Series

Poll
Question: Would you Rather
Legendary Pokemon be not part of the Plot at all. - 0 (0%)
Legendary Pokemon continue being given out to you with no effort - 2 (33.3%)
Legendary Pokemon be part of the plot, but not catchable until later. - 4 (66.7%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Legendary Pokemon Have Hurt the Series  (Read 623 times)
Kinfin
The Lord of the Sands
Lotad Hero

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2014, 12:51:55 pm »

This Post contains SPOILERS

As the franchise has gone on, Pokemon as a whole has, inevitably, had to increase the number of Legendary Pokemon, each individual or set deepening the Lore of the Pokemon world to the point where I for one, wish I were a part of it myself, and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this. However, Nintendo and Game Freak have made a deadly folly involving legendary Pokemon that has me weeping in anguish...

The folly being Legendary Pokemon's involvement in the story.

Now, don't get me wrong, Legendary Pokemon being a part of the story increases the scale of each story to epic proportions. A Battle of Gods in Black and White, a plot for mass Genocide in X and Y, the Sky and Sea ripping each other asunder in Alpha and Omega. All of it is absolutely beautiful in it's cinematic presentation and they all create a feeling of true climax in the stories, however, I can't help but feel that they've ruined what Legendary Pokemon were meant to represent.

In generations 1 and 2 (Bar Crystal. I'll get to that later), you had very little to go off of even confirming that Legendary Pokemon existed. In fact, you're first piece of proof comes from a pair of Binoculars near Fuchsia City that let you catch a glimpse of Articuno, which adds it to your Pokedex and makes you think 'Wait, where is that? I want that.' I mean, after all, you're on a quest to catch 'em all. And so, you search high and low, going places you never thought of until you come face to face with this creature who's power you can literally feel emanating from it. You know this is going to be a hard fight, and you're scared, but you're prepared. You spent every Pyen you have on Ultra Balls, and you're not leaving until you've got this monster in your pocket.

That's what I've always felt Legendary Pokemon should be. Out of the way trials that you inflict upon yourself. You never need to fight it, but you want to. You want to prove to yourself that you can. That this is possible and that you're ready.

So why is it that in recent games they've been making it easier and easier to catch these mythic beasts to the point where in Alpha and Omega, they literally hand you Latias/Latios. A former ROAMING pokemon that you had to hunt every watery route in Hoenn just to catch glimpses of, now joining you without a fight. It make me sad to see these once hard fought trophies now reduced to a free piece of candy.

And that's only one example. In Black and White, capturing Zekrom/Reshirom is outright required otherwise you can't finish the game. And as a more blatant example, the musketeers which in Black and White were well hidden to the point where you can't even fight Terrakion and Verizion until you've fought Cobalion first, now literally walk in front of you saying 'Hey Bro. See that Pokeball on your hip? How about you cram me inside that. I'll be good. I promise'. Seriously? Where's the thrill of the search. The tension involved with having to earn your prize. Yeah, sure, there's stuff like Mewtwo or Zygarde in X and Y that are better hidden, but it's not that well, and by the time you fight them, you could have an army of equally godlike Pokemon ready to punch them in the face until they cry for mommy (or in Mewtwo's case, tubey).

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind being forced to fight the Legendary Pokemon, but do it tastefully. Like how Kyurem Black/White was uncatchable when you fought it and you had to struggle against it's icy fire/lighting knowing that no Masterball could save you. That was well exicuted. Battleing Zekrom/Reshirom under N's control where you can't catch it. You can only fight it with whatever you've got, and even that was made easy because you were forced to catch the other one which could OHKO it...

What I'm trying to say is, Legendary Pokemon have lost their Legend. They're just ary Pokemon now. You're force fed them if you want them or not. And the ones you do have to hunt for are made easier fights by the ones you get spooned into your mouth...

We all know they're going to be a Generation 7. Pokemon is too much of a Cash Cow for there not to be. There might as well be a Steel type Rotom that's a printing press because Pokemon Prints Money. But my hope, and I know it won't happen but that can't stop me from hoping, my hope is that in Generation Seven, whatever they're called, won't put their Legendary Pokemon in the limelight. Or if they do, they put them on the edge of the Spotlight, just out of reach at first, forcing you to seek them out the right way. That's all I want. For a Legend to be a Legend again...
Report Spam   Logged

Must...resist...creepy urges... too many witnesses... would look weird...

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zohaib
スチール
Rain Dish

Main FC: 3711-9411-9563

gucci gang

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 01:24:37 pm »

Legends enchance the plot, because I don't know if you've noticed it, pokemons strongest point is not it's plot.

Pokemon has always had a subpar plot, it took B/W to make it a good plot, but it doesnt match up to plot-centric games like The Walking Dead games, Mass Effect, and stuff like that.

So Pokemon technically needs to pull a "micheal bay" and introduce legends as it's version of explosions. You can never expect pokemon to have a triple-A plot that keeps you thinking, it's just not why people like Pokemon so it's usually an afterthought.

The Legendaries are the explosions of Pokemon, they make the games feel cinematic and make you feel like a real hero when you make these huge monsters yours. R/B/Y had a terribly weak plot, and the fact that a 10 year old had to do the Police forces job for them makes it even more silly. Same goes for G/S.

in R/S/E, DPPt, BW+BW2, and X/Y the legends help elevate the meaning of the player, something a police force or army can't deal with, something only the Player character would deal with because of the situation.
It makes it more epic and awesome which is what Pokemon needs to compromise for not exactly having the greatest plots in gaming.

BW was a suprise to actually have a decent plot, with decent characters, but its far from spectacles such as Mass Effect or Max Payne or Far Cry 3.
Report Spam   Logged

Quote from: Me
kanye, pokemon and deep throating are my favoruite things
Kinfin
The Lord of the Sands
Lotad Hero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 01:29:53 pm »

I'm not saying they don't enhance the plot. They're very cinematic and I enjoy that just as much as anyone else. I just hate how they're spoon fed to you. Maybe even have it play out like in Pokemon Conquest where you temporarily gain the Legendary Pokemon's help to fight the big bad but then it goes off and does it's own thing again until you hunt it down and make it yours for real. My point is more, they've removed the thrill they used to give you and instead turned them into a bowl of hard candies on Doris's patio. That's the problem I have with them.
Report Spam   Logged

Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

Main FC: 0344-9472-9443

You have failed this city!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 01:50:25 pm »

The Legends make it more interesting by adding more stories and plot to the games and making certain mons more significant.  They don't even have to be more powerful sometimes, but still add that whole myths and legends vibe.  The legends make the game much more exciting and add a sense of urgency.  Team Plasma using N to get to Zek/Reshi to take away all the Pokémon or Team Galactic trying to reboot the Universe made the confrontation feel like it's dangerous and if you fail, the world would never be the same again.  Compare with Team Rocket whose biggest achievement is taking over a radio tower, which comparatively is nowhere near as good.  The legends made Pokémon so much better, so I have to disagree with this thread.  It feels too "genwunner" to dislike the improvements that were added to the series.  It's never as good without the legends.  If they kept going like gen 1 and 2 did, that would have hurt the series because they needed something bigger.
Report Spam   Logged

My country lay within a vast desert. When the sun rose into the sky, a burning wind punished my lands, searing the world. And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came the wind carried the same thing... Death. But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin. I coveted that wind, I suppose. It can only be called fate... That here, I would again gather the three with the crests... That I should lay my hand on that which grants the wishes of the beholder... That when power, wisdom, and courage come together, the gods would have no choice but to come down... The power of the gods... The Triforce! He who touches it will have whatever he desires granted!
Pull List: Justice League, Justice League United, Secret Wars, New Avengers
Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Bleez, Batgirl, Green Arrow, Larfleeze
Kinfin
The Lord of the Sands
Lotad Hero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 01:52:47 pm »

I don't think you guys are getting my main point.

I enjoy Legendary Pokemon in the Plot. With that part, i totally agree with you. But what I don't like is when they're forced upon you. In gen 5 and 6, you're literally required to catch the poster pokemon or you can't continue with the game, and that's the part I find stupid.

Are you guys seriously saying you prefer being bottle fed legends and not earning them?
Report Spam   Logged

Kinfin
The Lord of the Sands
Lotad Hero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 01:56:28 pm »

Poll added.
Report Spam   Logged

Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

Main FC: 0344-9472-9443

You have failed this city!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 02:56:43 pm »

I want to be able to catch the Pokémon during the final confrontation.  I don't think it's effortless unless you use a Master Ball.  There isn't really an option in the poll for me to choose because I don't believe its effortless.  I still want the finale of the evil team plot to be me fighting the Legendary and the character proving their worth by catching it and saving the day.  It's not given out (though the Latis in ORAS are, but that's another thing entirely), you have to battle the mascot legend.  The Primals will probably make it even harder.  Every other legend is post-game either found somewhere or part of a post quest like rayquaza in the delta episode which I bet will be a tough fight.
Report Spam   Logged

My country lay within a vast desert. When the sun rose into the sky, a burning wind punished my lands, searing the world. And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came the wind carried the same thing... Death. But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin. I coveted that wind, I suppose. It can only be called fate... That here, I would again gather the three with the crests... That I should lay my hand on that which grants the wishes of the beholder... That when power, wisdom, and courage come together, the gods would have no choice but to come down... The power of the gods... The Triforce! He who touches it will have whatever he desires granted!
Pull List: Justice League, Justice League United, Secret Wars, New Avengers
Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Bleez, Batgirl, Green Arrow, Larfleeze
Kinfin
The Lord of the Sands
Lotad Hero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 03:07:37 pm »

I want to be able to catch the Pokémon during the final confrontation.  I don't think it's effortless unless you use a Master Ball.  There isn't really an option in the poll for me to choose because I don't believe its effortless.  I still want the finale of the evil team plot to be me fighting the Legendary and the character proving their worth by catching it and saving the day.  It's not given out (though the Latis in ORAS are, but that's another thing entirely), you have to battle the mascot legend.  The Primals will probably make it even harder.  Every other legend is post-game either found somewhere or part of a post quest like rayquaza in the delta episode which I bet will be a tough fight.
Keeping in mind that in BW and in XY, the poster Pokemon has a drastically increased catch rate to the point where I've never had to weaken any of them... that feels like a hand out to me.
Report Spam   Logged

DarkDragon
Ruby Gatherer

Main FC: 1435-4150-8076

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 10:28:11 am »

Does it really matter though? Yes I agree that they are very easy to obtain, particularly in gen6, but you're going to end up getting to them anyway so you might as well catch it at the climax of the story. In fact, it's probably cheaper to do that for me since I only have to buy say 10 ultra balls rather than 50 for the same result. No matter how difficult they make it to fight, it isn't a challenge to catch any legendary pokemon because it boils down to putting it to sleep/paralysing it and then throwing a shit ton of ultra balls at it until it catches. It's never challenging, just a huge pain imo.

If it seemed challenging in gen1, that's probably because we were all younger so the game was more difficult for us. Now that we've grown up a bit and understand the game's mechanics fully it just doesn't seem as difficult as before which is understandable.
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
Mashin
Lotad Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 09:07:45 pm »

I love how Latias joined the party.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: