Ludicom
March 28, 2024, 01:53:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking to get back in touch? https://discord.gg/5mc98tm

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

It's just dawning on me how important this community was to my growth as a teen

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: It's just dawning on me how important this community was to my growth as a teen  (Read 1137 times)
Silver
Ludicolo Expert

0774-4496-6815

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2015, 02:22:17 pm »

It really is amazing to consider how long ago we all used to hang out on the forums regularly as a part of our daily lives 5+ years ago, and how most of us are now probably in our early 20s trying to figure out how to be a functional adult. I really miss having an online place to go to where I actually felt like I was in the company of friends. No matter how bad my day was, I could always come online and talk to people and I would always feel welcome and liked. So many memories built in this place. I even met one of my closest IRL friends through PPN (Jay117), and he's basically family at this point. I still have a lot of you added on my personal Facebook account, and although I seldom talk to most people I still like knowing that I can hang on to a trace of this very sweet part of my life. I miss you guys. Thank you Kloud, for carrying on PPN's spirit and keeping it alive in here. I know the forums are dead, but it's nice to see that there is STILL some activity considering how small and old this forum is, and that is impressive in itself. I'm not expecting many replies but if you see this, whether it's months or years from now, let me know how your lives are going. Post a little update. What have you guys been doing in the past years? Hopefully more than me, haha.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kinfin
The Lord of the Sands
Lotad Hero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 02:51:44 pm »

Kloud and I are married, have a baby due in a month, and all is going pretty good.
Report Spam   Logged

Must...resist...creepy urges... too many witnesses... would look weird...
Silver
Ludicolo Expert

0774-4496-6815

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 04:01:44 pm »

Kloud and I are married, have a baby due in a month, and all is going pretty good.
Omg wow, congratulations guys! That's really awesome. :3
Report Spam   Logged
Coyote Starrk
Primera Espada
Lombre Legend

Cero Metralleta

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 06:59:25 pm »

I got a jerb and mah first car which is needing repairs all day err day. ;_;
Report Spam   Logged

Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

Main FC: 0344-9472-9443

You have failed this city!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 05:06:32 am »

I agree, the community was a massive part of my life for many years.  It still is, I talk to a couple people still.  I miss a great deal of people though who used to be around.
Report Spam   Logged

My country lay within a vast desert. When the sun rose into the sky, a burning wind punished my lands, searing the world. And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came the wind carried the same thing... Death. But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin. I coveted that wind, I suppose. It can only be called fate... That here, I would again gather the three with the crests... That I should lay my hand on that which grants the wishes of the beholder... That when power, wisdom, and courage come together, the gods would have no choice but to come down... The power of the gods... The Triforce! He who touches it will have whatever he desires granted!
Pull List: Justice League, Justice League United, Secret Wars, New Avengers
Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Bleez, Batgirl, Green Arrow, Larfleeze
Kinfin
The Lord of the Sands
Lotad Hero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 10:50:57 am »

I agree, the community was a massive part of my life for many years.  It still is, I talk to a couple people still.  I miss a great deal of people though who used to be around.
Honestly, one of my biggest regrets about my adolescence was not finding this place sooner.
Report Spam   Logged

Must...resist...creepy urges... too many witnesses... would look weird...
RosimInc
Emerald Hoarder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 01:52:57 pm »

Hello everyone, it's been a long time.

Been lurking every once in a while, thought I'd share a bit what's happening on my side.

I'm in 4th year Software Engineering now, still one year to go. I have managed to maintain my GPA at 4.16/4.3, and getting some scholarships every once in a while.
I've spend 8 months working at EA Sports on NHL15 in 2014, that was a blast. Next summer I'll probably be working at EA Motive, the new Montreal studio.
I'm in a game development student association, and I was appointed Lead Programmer, giving me tons of responsabilities and making me the reference about development and experience in the industry. Being involved has made me much more sociable, and I now have a pretty good reputation at my school. I'm also the main contact point between my school and Ubisoft.
With the club, I'm participating to various coding competitions, and we've gotten staff picks for 3 of them, and won one of them in May. Next winter I'll participate to a big competition and we really hope to gain a lot of prizes.
I've been in a relationship for the past 6 months, with a wonderful girl (name's Sophie) who is making my life amazing. We're constantly together, I'm spending half my time at her place, and we are extremely close. We have been friends for 8 months before going out together, so it has grown really steadily and I think it has helped us get to know each other. I am really proud to be with her.
In April of this year, I went, with my girlfriend and 6 other students, to UK and Ireland as an ambassador to my school, and for 2 weeks we met with schools and companies to develop partnerships. Who would've guessed that Shymon would ever become a public speaker haha. Still can't believe it myself.
I have also completed my first full game. It's a co-op/competitive game I've been working on since January 2013. Has beautiful graphics, is translated in 7 languages, and I was the only programmer on the team. It's not available yet and I don't think it ever will be because I left the team and they've decided to remake it completely. But I have been presenting my version at various indie meetups and it has been really cool. I am slowly getting more and more recognition from the industry and I feel it is making my future prospects look very favorable.
I think that's pretty much it, I still have my share of worries and insecurities, but I have been trying to keep myself busy and this has worked out well for me.

I am really grateful that I got to know this community and all of you guys. I feel you were around during the times in which I felt doubt concerning my own future and feelings. Chatting with you guys, playing with you guys, sometimes arguing with you guys, have shaped me as an individual and got me to grow in a lot of respects. I have learned to mature as a person while keeping my heart young. And I am so happy about that.

Thank you all for having been there for me, and for accepting me with all my excentricities and long posts.

Sincerely,
RosimInc
Report Spam   Logged
Miku the Fake Identity
Tempo Owner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 06:20:02 am »

I finished my first year of my bachelors of biomedical science. I got four high distinctions in my second semester and I'm proud of it.
It's been a while since I've stopped doing drugs, and I've been starting to have a few beers with friends.
Working part-time at Subway over this uni break.
Still single (at 20 Sad ), and I'd love to find someone who'd settle for me.
I'm starting to get some driving experience.. I know I'm late but better late than never!
Hoping to get my license at 21, at which point there is no practice hours requirement in this country (Australia).
Report Spam   Logged
Coyote Starrk
Primera Espada
Lombre Legend

Cero Metralleta

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 10:20:26 am »

I finished my first year of my bachelors of biomedical science. I got four high distinctions in my second semester and I'm proud of it.
It's been a while since I've stopped doing drugs, and I've been starting to have a few beers with friends.
I'm starting to get some driving experience.. I know I'm late but better late than never!
Hoping to get my license at 21, at which point there is no practice hours requirement in this country (Australia).
I got my license at 21 lol
Report Spam   Logged

Silver
Ludicolo Expert

0774-4496-6815

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 03:57:24 pm »

Simon, I always knew you had the potential in you. Really proud of you, dude. That's really awesome. I've recently started learning Python, and this really motivates me. So far I've been really slacking, because it's so hard to focus on code after coming home tired from work. Sad

Proud of you for doing that. Honestly, you're way ahead of me in life in general, and I'm like 2-3 years older. I don't even have my license yet, lol. Not that I really need it, but still...
Report Spam   Logged
DarkDragon
Ruby Gatherer

Main FC: 1435-4150-8076

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 04:56:47 am »

Reading this thread brings back memories aha. It's scary to think how long we have all actually known each other really, but its nice that this place still gets the occasional post. Simon, you've certainly been busy!

As for me, I believe I'm still the youngest person left on the forum so I'm a little behind you guys, but next year I'll turn 18 so hopefully I'm going to get some driving lessons within the next couple of months. I'm also applying for university too which is quite exciting and scary at the same time! I hope to study Economics, currently have an offer from Nottingham and am awaiting replies from Warwick, LSE and Oxford (a lot of that probably won't mean a lot to the non-UK people haha) Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

breakdanzkat
Ruby Gatherer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 01:31:36 am »

It's been a while but I keep coming back to this community.

Anyway, the past year has been interesting. I graduated high school, got my first job at a factory during the summer, and entered university for Computer Science in the fall.

University has been one hell of a ride so far. Lots of ups and downs. Frosh week was the most fun part of it but everything went downhill after. Basically, I couldn't adapt to the fast-paced nature of university so I slacked off hard. I eventually fell behind so I isolated myself from my friends to get stuff done. Worst idea ever. It ended up being detrimental to my education and my well-being. I got so depressed that I stopped giving a shit about assignments and I started skipping classes. By the end of the term, what did I get out of all of these? Passing marks in three of my classes, nearly failing one, and completely failing another one with a 26%. My last hope to salvage my shitty first semester is finals season. So far, I've written three exams: two for classes in which I'm passing and one for the class in which I'm getting a 26%. No way I was able to salvage that class with how little I prepared for the exam. I have another one soon and it's for the one I'm nearly failing. I don't really know how to study for it and I honestly stopped giving a shit about that class a while ago. It's bad that I haven't showed up in that class since October because it's a class I need for my major. Oh well.

Basically, now that I reflect on my first semester in university, I went from an 80-90s student in high school to someone who is about to fail possibly two courses. I'm quite disappointed in myself.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:33:54 am by breakdanzkat » Report Spam   Logged
Shihen
Ludicolo Expert

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 05:19:36 pm »

Hello everyone, it's been a long time.

Been lurking every once in a while, thought I'd share a bit what's happening on my side.

I'm in 4th year Software Engineering now, still one year to go. I have managed to maintain my GPA at 4.16/4.3, and getting some scholarships every once in a while.
I've spend 8 months working at EA Sports on NHL15 in 2014, that was a blast. Next summer I'll probably be working at EA Motive, the new Montreal studio.
I'm in a game development student association, and I was appointed Lead Programmer, giving me tons of responsabilities and making me the reference about development and experience in the industry. Being involved has made me much more sociable, and I now have a pretty good reputation at my school. I'm also the main contact point between my school and Ubisoft.
With the club, I'm participating to various coding competitions, and we've gotten staff picks for 3 of them, and won one of them in May. Next winter I'll participate to a big competition and we really hope to gain a lot of prizes.
I've been in a relationship for the past 6 months, with a wonderful girl (name's Sophie) who is making my life amazing. We're constantly together, I'm spending half my time at her place, and we are extremely close. We have been friends for 8 months before going out together, so it has grown really steadily and I think it has helped us get to know each other. I am really proud to be with her.
In April of this year, I went, with my girlfriend and 6 other students, to UK and Ireland as an ambassador to my school, and for 2 weeks we met with schools and companies to develop partnerships. Who would've guessed that Shymon would ever become a public speaker haha. Still can't believe it myself.
I have also completed my first full game. It's a co-op/competitive game I've been working on since January 2013. Has beautiful graphics, is translated in 7 languages, and I was the only programmer on the team. It's not available yet and I don't think it ever will be because I left the team and they've decided to remake it completely. But I have been presenting my version at various indie meetups and it has been really cool. I am slowly getting more and more recognition from the industry and I feel it is making my future prospects look very favorable.
I think that's pretty much it, I still have my share of worries and insecurities, but I have been trying to keep myself busy and this has worked out well for me.

I am really grateful that I got to know this community and all of you guys. I feel you were around during the times in which I felt doubt concerning my own future and feelings. Chatting with you guys, playing with you guys, sometimes arguing with you guys, have shaped me as an individual and got me to grow in a lot of respects. I have learned to mature as a person while keeping my heart young. And I am so happy about that.

Thank you all for having been there for me, and for accepting me with all my excentricities and long posts.

Sincerely,
RosimInc

Congrats Rosim Smiley EA, though? Ouch (you saw it coming)

I really regret not following the game dev path. I won a few dev contests in uni and got close to some studios but for some reason I just didn't follow it. My best friend ended up moving to Sweden to pursue his game development career after his game was nominated for a Bafta whilst I returned home and took up a local job. Thankfully there happened to be a huge global company right next to where I live, and somehow I never knew they existed lol. It's retail stuff, but hey, we get to deal with Nintendo which was a nice coincidence considering I'm a fan.

Hearing all my friends running off, chasing their dreams and doing great things... I get jealous. It hits me hard. My job isn't interesting and nobody sees my work aside from the people who use it to do their job - and they don't care. I still try to make games though, it's my hobby after all despite never ever finishing one.

I've moved up from a PHP developer to a C# developer and I have to say, C# is a beautiful language. I'm currently making my own code editor with it for Game Maker (gml) as one of my little side projects. Next up, I want to extend the GML language and make my own improvements on it - such as adding much-wanted OOP principles and giving it a typed makeover.

I miss our conversations, Rosim. All the best Smiley

Oh, and your game better not be another one of those moba games. Tongue However if you ever check back here, let me know when/if you release it. Let me play it!
Report Spam   Logged

Eric
The higest rank of the turtles in the turtle kingdom.
Ruby Gatherer

Turtle power is not the power to be underestimated

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 05:25:25 am »

Hey everyone, I'm glad to see all of you doing well with your life! I still do lurk here every months or so and finally today I managed to bring myself to post something and share what's happening on my side.

Currently I'm waiting for my fourth and final year in university to start so I can finally get my degree in Communication and Media. I managed to stay in the average so hopefully all in all it will be fine.

Life is.. different compared to back when I was active in the forums. I used to be quite anti-social and awkward when talking to people in real life. That's one of the reason I prefer to be online I guess. I guess​ the turtle persona I used for my online avatar suited me; awkward and always hiding in its shell for protection.

I decided to change all that during college and tried to make more friends in the real world and slowly, I left my shell and be more open towards people around me. That was also the time I stopped visiting forums and partake in it. I also met a girl just after college and now she's my best friend/my significant other Smiley

But I still miss all of you greatly. After all, I still consider most of you as my earliest friends despite that you're halfway across the earth from me. I still intend to keep that, so thats why I checked the forums occasionally to see how all of you are doing and to remind myself of all of you (I am also friends with some of you on Facebook)

So thank you everyone for being here. I considered you my  second family before, and I guess I still do. I heard we have a discord channel so I might check that out later, or if any of you are on Facebook or WhatsApp, I wouldn't mind adding you too so we wouldn't lose contact.

I hope to be able to talk to all of you again.

I know this is overdue, but congratulations! I'm go glad it worked out well with you two ^^

Report Spam   Logged

I am in need of Minecraft gift codes. I can't buy online stuff and I really love minecraft. So If you have a spare gift code, I hope you can give me. =)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: