Ludicom
March 28, 2024, 06:48:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking to get back in touch? https://discord.gg/5mc98tm

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Smogon's 5th Generation Tier List for Competitive Battling + Standard Rules

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Smogon's 5th Generation Tier List for Competitive Battling + Standard Rules  (Read 3766 times)
Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

Main FC: 0344-9472-9443

You have failed this city!

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2011, 09:27:36 am »

There are Rules that people use in Competitive Battling against other people in order to make it a fair game.  There are two types of rules.  One of them are the Clauses, which are specific rules set to make things fair in battle.  Another is the Tier List which seperate Pokémon into different tiers based on usage or power.  All Pokémon from a higher tier is thus banned from a lower tier.  This topic will have the Clauses and Tiers listed.

Clauses:

Standard Clauses:
Standard Clauses are Rules that are enforced in every match in every tier that you battle in.  Breaking one of these clauses results in disqualification.  These Clauses are standard:

Species Clause
This clause is simple.  It just means No Doubles of Pokemon.  So you can't have more than 1 of the same Pokemon.  People who use things like two Tyranitars in battle, have to put 1 of them away for battles with the Species Clause in effect.

Sleep Clause
This clause means that you can not put more than one of your opponent's Pokémon to sleep using a move like Spore or Hypnosis.  If you want to put one of their Pokémon to sleep, then they have to have nothing else asleep, otherwise you will have to wait for one of their Pokémon to wake up.  This does not count on self-inflicted sleep via the move Rest.  A Pokémon can be asleep via Rest and not count towards this clause.

1hitKO Clause
Do you want to use your powerful moves like Sheer Cold, Horn Drill etc?  They are 1hitKO moves, which happen to be banned battles with this clause in effect. So don't teach your Pokemon these moves, because that would waste a space in your Pokemon's moveset, when you enter battles with this clause in effect.  The 1 hit KO moves are Sheer Cold, Fissure, Horn Drill and Guillotine.

Evasion Clause
The moves Double Team and Minimize are not allowed in battles because they allow Pokemon to evade being hit and have an overpowered luck element.  Currently the held items Brightpowder and Lax Incense are banned too as they increase evasion slightly.

Moody Clause
Certain Pokémon may have the ability Moody, so they will not be allowed in battle.  Moody's luck element brings a possible overpowered and unfair aspect to the game and could allow them to sweep the opponent or even evade moves easily.

Non Standard Clauses:
These Clauses could be enforced in a battle but they are not standard, so both players must agree before using one of these clauses in a battle.

Item Clause
No doubles of Items are allowed.  An example is that a lot of people use more than one Leftovers on their team, but that isn't allowed.  So remember to not have any doubles of items when the Item Clause is on in a match.  Official Nintendo tournaments usually have this clause enabled.

Status Clause
This clause means that you are not allowed to inflict doubles of a status effect like Burn, Poison, etc.  Self inflicted status effects caused by things like the Toxic Orb do not count towards this.  Also side effects of moves like Ember, Water Pulse, Ice Beam etc; do not count either as they are side effects of damaging moves which just happen to enflict the Status Condition.

Freeze Clause
This is almost exactly the same as the Sleep Clause but instead it's Freeze.  So freezing the opponent more than once is banned, but self inflicts get round it.  However this clause makes no sense since the only way to inflict freeze is via an accidental side affect via a move like Ice Beam, so noone should use this clause.

Self-KO Clause
The self sacrificing moves Explosion and SelfDestruct cannot be used when both you and your opponent only have 1 Pokemon left each.  Perish Song, Final Gambit and any other saccrifing moves that could destroy both Pokémon are banned at this point too when the clause is in effect.

Hax Item Clause
Items which require luck to use are banned in battles with this clause in effect.  These are the Brightpowder, Quick Claw, Focus Band and King's Rock.  Also a few of the Incense items have a lack aspect too.

Tiers:

The Pokémon Game is divided up into Tiers.  Most Tiers have a metagame in which Pokémon from the tier and below the tier are allowed.  Anything above is banned.

It goes like this:
Uber Tier- Banlist from OU, Metagame where no Pokémon are banned
OU Tier- OverUsed Tier, Standard Metagame where Ubers are banned, OU and below are allowed
BL Tier- BorderLine Tier.  It is NOT a metagame, it is just a banlist from the UU Tier
UU Tier- UnderUsed Tier. It is a Metagame which bans BL, OU and Uber Pokémon.
RU Tier- RarelyUsed Tier.  It bans Pokémon from all above tiers.
NU Tier- NeverUsed Tier.  It bans Pokémon from all above tiers.
- note that RU and NU will have banlists of their own but they do not have at the moment -

Little Cup- A Metagame which uses Lv5 Pokémon Bottom Stages.  It has a banlist of its own.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:45:09 pm by JCBellsprout » Report Spam   Logged

My country lay within a vast desert. When the sun rose into the sky, a burning wind punished my lands, searing the world. And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came the wind carried the same thing... Death. But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin. I coveted that wind, I suppose. It can only be called fate... That here, I would again gather the three with the crests... That I should lay my hand on that which grants the wishes of the beholder... That when power, wisdom, and courage come together, the gods would have no choice but to come down... The power of the gods... The Triforce! He who touches it will have whatever he desires granted!
Pull List: Justice League, Justice League United, Secret Wars, New Avengers
Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Bleez, Batgirl, Green Arrow, Larfleeze

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:32:11 am »

OU Tier

OU stands for OverUsed and it is the Standard Metagame that most people play.  The OU Tier allows all Pokémon that are in OU and below.  All Pokémon that are above the OU Tier are banned.  The only Pokémon above OU are Pokémon in the Uber Tier, who are there for being too powerful for OU's metagame.  OU is determined by usage so the top used Pokémon are deemed OU.

The List Currently Includes:

Ferrothorn
Tyranitar
Scizor
Gliscor
Latios
Excadrill
Reuniclus
Heatran
Rotom (Wash Forme)
Conkeldurr
Jirachi
Politoad
Dragonite
Thundurus
Gengar
Jellicent
Skarmory
Volcarona
Starmie
Gyrados
Hydreigon
Forretress
Blissey
Infernape
Ninetales
Vaporeon
Salamence
Breloom
Chandelure
Scrafty
Tentacruel
Metagross
Terrakion
Swampert
Haxorus
Lucario
Cloyster
Hippowdon
Magnezone
Deoxys (Speed Forme)
Machamp
Landorus
Whimsicott
Latias
Bronzong
Mienshao
Darmanitan
Toxicroak
Virizion
Venusaur
Porygon2
Tornadus

The OU Tier allows anything in the below tiers, it bans anything Uber.

The OU Tier also bans from it's metagame something that is explained in this specific rule:

The Drizzle+Swift Swim Combination
The Pokémon Politoad gets the ability Drizzle which summons infinite Rain weather.  Some other Pokémon get the abilty Swift Swim which doubles their speed in Rain.  The combination of using a Pokémon with Drizzle and Swift Swim on the same team is banned.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 01:00:27 pm by Sgt Creeper » Report Spam   Logged

My country lay within a vast desert. When the sun rose into the sky, a burning wind punished my lands, searing the world. And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came the wind carried the same thing... Death. But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin. I coveted that wind, I suppose. It can only be called fate... That here, I would again gather the three with the crests... That I should lay my hand on that which grants the wishes of the beholder... That when power, wisdom, and courage come together, the gods would have no choice but to come down... The power of the gods... The Triforce! He who touches it will have whatever he desires granted!
Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Bleez, Batgirl, Green Arrow, Larfleeze
Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 09:33:57 am »

Uber Tier

The Uber Tier is the tier above OU in that all Pokémon in this tier are banned from use in OU for being too powerful.  Uber Tier is its own metagame too where everything is allowed except for the things banned in the Clauses.

Arceus
Blaziken
Darkrai
Deoxys (Attack Forme)
Deoxys (Normal Forme)
Dialga
Garchomp
Giratina
Giratina (Origin Forme)
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Manaphy
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Shaymin (Sky Forme)
Zekrom
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:05:34 pm by Mijuwana » Report Spam   Logged

Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 09:58:04 am »

UU Tier

The UU Tier (UnderUsed) is the metagame created that bans all the Pokémon used enough to be OU, thus allowing the next bunch of Pokémon to be used in their own metagame where the overused ones are banned.  It is determined by usage itself too, allowing UU Pokémon to be banned from the next usage tier and so forth.

Victini
Hitmontop
Arcanine
Donphan
Chansey
Heracross
Zapdos
Nidoking
Vulpix
Mew
Flygon
Slowbro
Empoleon
Milotic
Sawsbuck
Abomasnow
Suicune
Deoxys-D
Kingdra
Roserade
Azelf
Cobalion
Celebi
Mismagius
Mamoswine
Registeel
Snorlax
Escavalier
Weavile
Nidoqueen
Houndoom
Dusclops
Froslass
Bisharp
Sigilyph
Xatu
Jolteon
Togekiss
Ambipom
Spiritomb
Victreebel
Shaymin
Tangrowth
Azumarill
Charizard
Rotom-H
Zoroark
Hippopotas
Raikou
Crobat
Aerodactyl

The UU Tier allows anything in the below tiers, it bans anything Uber, OU or BL.

The UU Tier also bans from it's metagame something that is explained in this specific rule:

The Drought Ban
Drought is allowed in the highter tiers, but from the UU tier AND the lower Tiers, Drought is banned.  Drought is an ability that summons infinite Sun to the field.  It is banned from UU and below tiers, but allowed in higher tiers.

BL Tier

The BorderLine Tier is a tier based on power and it bans the Pokémon too powerful in the UU Tier, so it will then send them up into this higher tier, BL.  BL Pokémon can be used in the OU and Uber Metagames, but not in the lower Metagames.  However BL is not a Metagame of its own since it would just be UU except with the few overpowered things let back in.

Kyurem
Espeon
Staraptor
Wobbuffet
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:12:18 am by Sgt Creeper » Report Spam   Logged

Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 09:58:19 am »

reserved for RU tier stuff

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:15:35 pm by Mijuwana » Report Spam   Logged

Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:58:28 am »

reserved for NU Tier stuff
Report Spam   Logged

Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:58:42 am »

reserved for Little Cup Pokémon and Banlist

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:16:09 pm by Mijuwana » Report Spam   Logged

Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 09:59:02 am »

reserved just in case anything else.

Please don't post anyone Smiley thank you
Report Spam   Logged

Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 04:17:16 pm »

boss neon added some pictures to make things look nicer.. it's just a couple of the dream world arts for the mons.. don't have one for NU yet since RU's stats havn't been compiled yet.
Report Spam   Logged

Teenage Mutant Ninja Squirtles
Lombre Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 04:45:07 pm »

Why is Vulpix UU? Isn't the ability 'Drought' banned from UU and below so what use could Vulpix possibly have?
Report Spam   Logged

Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 05:00:17 pm »

Why is Vulpix UU? Isn't the ability 'Drought' banned from UU and below so what use could Vulpix possibly have?
Vulpix was put in the UU list before Drought got banned.  Next time the Tiers change, Vulpix will most likely drop down into the murky depths of unemployment.
Report Spam   Logged

JCBellsprout
Tempo Owner

Main FC: 5200-4535-3010

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 06:18:07 pm »

Vulpix was put in the UU list before Drought got banned.  Next time the Tiers change, Vulpix will most likely drop down into the murky depths of unemployment.

Vulpix itself wasn't banned in UU, just the ability itself, which means one could use a non DW Vulpix, although why even bother xD

Also I've been hearing talk of Staraptor being banned, but I don't see anything about it.
Report Spam   Logged

Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 04:09:23 am »

Vulpix itself wasn't banned in UU, just the ability itself, which means one could use a non DW Vulpix, although why even bother xD
Well yeah I know that, otherwise I wouldnt have said it would drop down.

Also I've been hearing talk of Staraptor being banned, but I don't see anything about it.
Staraptor is banned, along with Espeon and Wobb (and not Chansey >.< ).
Report Spam   Logged

JCBellsprout
Tempo Owner

Main FC: 5200-4535-3010

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 12:10:03 pm »

I've actually tried Staraptor in UU a few times beforehand, it was truly amazing in brute force.

Are they now in BL or UU?

Also no Chansey?  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Scarlet Spider
Kaine and Aracely
Lombre Legend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 02:10:55 pm »

I've actually tried Staraptor in UU a few times beforehand, it was truly amazing in brute force.

Are they now in BL or UU?

Also no Chansey?  Cheesy
Staraptor is BL, like I said before it's banned from UU thus it's BL because it was broken and everyone used one

Chansey is still UU because it didnt get a super majority, it's only got a simple majority so it's a suspect next round.  Why it's not banned already is beyond me, again it's broken and everyone uses one.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: