Ludicom
December 06, 2022, 03:56:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking to get back in touch? https://discord.gg/5mc98tm

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Post your Desktops and Browsers!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Post your Desktops and Browsers!  (Read 1833 times)
Magoo
Mashin
Lotad Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2014, 10:20:38 am »

I dunno, my laptop's a little old (2007) and XP is what it came with. I'm sure 7/8 runs fine on it but eh. I have 7 on my desktop PC.
And I'm going to dual boot with Linux, XP works great enough with this laptop that I can't go Linux full time on it. (Some issues with my fan and CPU usage, 3D effects are very buggy on it for some reason, and it gets quite a bit hotter.)

It looks pretty nice though.
Did you change the bar?
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Primera Espada
Lombre Legend

Cero Metralleta

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2014, 12:55:39 pm »

I dunno, my laptop's a little old (2007) and XP is what it came with. I'm sure 7/8 runs fine on it but eh. I have 7 on my desktop PC.
And I'm going to dual boot with Linux, XP works great enough with this laptop that I can't go Linux full time on it. (Some issues with my fan and CPU usage, 3D effects are very buggy on it for some reason, and it gets quite a bit hotter.)
Your computer is newer than mine and mine ran vista and win7 just fine, and is doing even better on linux.

The fan problem is actually a problem with BIOS and is fixed by suspending your laptop after every reboot. And try Debian with LXDE or XFCE on it to use very few resources and cool it down. Mine used to run hot enough to burn my hand every day but now it's a lot cooler since I'm making it a lot moe lightweight.

What GPU does your computer have?
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
Mashin
Lotad Hero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2014, 01:02:21 pm »

My Vaio had a similar problem too.
Sony had a BIOS update on their website which fixed it.
Report Spam   Logged

Master
Protagonist
Ludicolo Expert

Effeminate pansy with no social skills

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2014, 04:45:29 pm »

It looks pretty nice though.
Did you change the bar?
Yeah it's a theme I found.

Your computer is newer than mine and mine ran vista and win7 just fine, and is doing even better on linux.

The fan problem is actually a problem with BIOS and is fixed by suspending your laptop after every reboot. And try Debian with LXDE or XFCE on it to use very few resources and cool it down. Mine used to run hot enough to burn my hand every day but now it's a lot cooler since I'm making it a lot moe lightweight.

What GPU does your computer have?
I don't know what messed up the fan because it used to work fine, until it stopped working and I replaced it. It's still wonky, it either does not turn on or it starts and stops, and I have to force it with a program on Windows for it run ok. There's a version of the program for Linux but It hasn't worked as well (Though I'm probably not doing it right, as it is terminal based.)

The CPU also started running really high for everything around the same time the fan stopped working. (After much tweaking I managed to get it running ok in Windows XP, not sure what was causing it.)
Also I didn't use to have that much problems with 3D effects as it does now, it'll just be really slow or have some glitchy problems, not sure what happened there. I like XFCE, but sometimes I'd like to try some more flashy DE's.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude D620 with a Nvidia Quadro NVS 110m.
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Primera Espada
Lombre Legend

Cero Metralleta

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2014, 07:02:26 pm »

Yeah it's a theme I found.
I don't know what messed up the fan because it used to work fine, until it stopped working and I replaced it. It's still wonky, it either does not turn on or it starts and stops, and I have to force it with a program on Windows for it run ok. There's a version of the program for Linux but It hasn't worked as well (Though I'm probably not doing it right, as it is terminal based.)

The CPU also started running really high for everything around the same time the fan stopped working. (After much tweaking I managed to get it running ok in Windows XP, not sure what was causing it.)
Also I didn't use to have that much problems with 3D effects as it does now, it'll just be really slow or have some glitchy problems, not sure what happened there. I like XFCE, but sometimes I'd like to try some more flashy DE's.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude D620 with a Nvidia Quadro NVS 110m.
You sure the fans not defective then? ir that it works with your BIOS?

Nvidia has really stepped up their Linux drivers since Valve made them as Valve is trying to leave windows and move to Linux cuz windows 8 is that terrible.

Have you tried Elementary OS? It's pretty lightweight and flashy.
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Primera Espada
Lombre Legend

Cero Metralleta

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2014, 10:50:27 pm »

So the laptop that my aunt has is a Dell Inspiron 2650 with 256MB of ram. With windows support ending, I would like to try to finding a linux distro that would run well on it and be able to play her chuzzle game good too.

I'm pretty sure it works under wine but I will test it tomorrow.

So far I'm thinking of trying puppy linux debian edition since it seems like it would run pretty well on it.

Thats about it really since this laptop doesnt boot from USB and I don't have CD/DVDs, and Puppy has an .exe installer to dual boot it which would be fantastic.

Does Puppy Debian use the apt-get commands for installing stuff or does it use something else?
Report Spam   Logged

Master
Protagonist
Ludicolo Expert

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2014, 12:42:27 am »

Bit the bullet, nuked my desktop PC and installed Windows 8.1. The recent Update 1 makes it rather usable with a mouse and keyboard.

Report Spam   Logged

Miku the Fake Identity
Tempo Owner

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2014, 02:10:46 am »

Bit the bullet, nuked my desktop PC and installed Windows 8.1. The recent Update 1 makes it rather usable with a mouse and keyboard.

is windows 8 any different from windows 7? like, using it
Report Spam   Logged
Master
Protagonist
Ludicolo Expert

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2014, 03:38:33 am »

Aside from the Start menu and it's apps it's mainly the same with a few differences here and there. It is a bit faster than Win7.
it's recent Update make it much easier and pleasant to use on a desktop. Imo once it gets the option for a classic start menu, it will be better than Windows 7.
Report Spam   Logged

Miku the Fake Identity
Tempo Owner

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2014, 07:40:27 am »

Aside from the Start menu and it's apps it's mainly the same with a few differences here and there. It is a bit faster than Win7.
it's recent Update make it much easier and pleasant to use on a desktop. Imo once it gets the option for a classic start menu, it will be better than Windows 7.
what did the update change o:
Report Spam   Logged
Master
Protagonist
Ludicolo Expert

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2014, 11:25:29 am »

what did the update change o:
It tweaked how the the start menu worked with a mouse. It really improved it a lot for me personally.
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/windows-8-1-update-1-what-s-in-microsoft-s-latest-windows-update-1232863#articleContent
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Primera Espada
Lombre Legend

Cero Metralleta

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2014, 12:06:30 pm »

You don't have to lie, we all hate windows 8 too.
Report Spam   Logged

Master
Protagonist
Ludicolo Expert

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2014, 12:43:30 pm »

You don't have to lie, we all hate windows 8 too.
Really, I didn't like it before either. But aside from the Start screen (Which isn't that bad after the updates.) I'm using it pretty much like it's Windows 7.5.
Report Spam   Logged

Coyote Starrk
Primera Espada
Lombre Legend

Cero Metralleta

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2014, 01:05:23 pm »

Really, I didn't like it before either. But aside from the Start screen (Which isn't that bad after the updates.) I'm using it pretty much like it's Windows 7.5.

y u no just use windows 7?
Report Spam   Logged

Master
Protagonist
Ludicolo Expert

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2014, 05:42:15 pm »

y u no just use windows 7?
Because Windows 8 is faster.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9